Charles Malki, Biologist & Plant Expert from http://ivorganics.com/ shares (at least) 10 Tips For In Ground Fruit Tree Plantings. The principle used on this Wonderful Pomegranate tree applies to most fruit and non-fruit tree plantings.
Here is a summary of some of the tips discussed in this video:
1. Start with a grafted tree or cutting –preferred over a seedling!
2. Dig hole 2x wider and the same depth as pot.
3. Brush IV Organic on trunk and exposed branches. Spray dilute IV Organics on leaves to minimize dehydration/ desiccation.
4. Mulch the top soil with wood chips.
6. Stake the tree loosely.
7. Pest Control with Neem & Spinosad based products, only if necessary.
8. Water initially 2-3 times the first first week & through the first summer. Then water deep 1x per week.
9. Remove and undesired growth or suckers.
10. Feed you trees 3x each year: Spring Summer & Fall.